Many of you are probably familiar with DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer maps. There was concern that the Swiss company Garmin that bought Delorme in February was going to discontinue the paper map books. However, they announced that the map books will continue to be “enhanced” and revised/updated and the company will make additional investments in “resources and cartography staff based in the Yarmouth facility.” Good news for those of you that use those maps! Click below to read the story.
On April 3rd, 1988, the Los Angeles Times Magazine published a 25 year look ahead to 2013. Though we did not end up with housekeeper robots, other things did become reality. Continue reading
Linux turns 25 years old today! 25 years ago, Linus Torvalds sent out his fateful message asking for help with a new operating system. Click below to read more.
Position: Senior Enterprise GIS Consultant
The SCAG IT Application Development Department is seeking a Senior GIS Consultant to maintain, support, and administer SCAG’s geodatabase and GIS datasets and provide GIS training to local jurisdictions and SCAG staff. The Consultant’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform system upgrades to all ESRI related products including but not limited to ESRI ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS SDE, and ArcGIS Online, as needed.
- Support the GIS group to perform data cleanup and restructure for all GIS related data and databases.
- Perform data transfer between the geodatabases in Microsoft SQL Server and other resources in different file formats.
- Provide real-time technical and hands-on support of SCAG existing Geodatabase system
- Develop and consolidate guidelines, policies, and procedures for both administrators and end users for the Enterprise GIS (EGIS) implementation.
- Develop and maintain EGIS implementation plan and lay out the business workflows to access and update the geodatabase. This includes searching, viewing, and updating the spatial data in the geodatabase.
- Provide an overall strategy and weekly reports to SCAG EGIS team leaders to reach the objective that all SCAG staff use the geodatabase as the primary repository for GIS data files and data sharing.
- Provide one-on-one sessions to assist SCAG GIS Group and Planners to transition from using the dBase file to using the centralized geodatabase for their daily operations.
- Assist GIS group with existing web services (map/feature) implementation.
- Provide GIS application demos and customized advanced training for SCAG staff and local jurisdiction staff as needed.
- Perform other EGIS related tasks as needed, including but not limited to spatial and 3D analysis.
Minimum of five (5) years of Enterprise GIS implementation experience with ESRI ArcGIS (desktop, engine, server) on Microsoft SQL Server and ArcGIS Online.
- Two (2) years of experience with Web GIS APIs, ArcObject, or Python, and one or more of the following: C#, VBScript, C++, or Java Script.
- Knowledge and experience with Geocortex Essentials.
- Knowledge on urban and regional planning
- Experience on working with local jurisdictions and government agencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of computer software programs, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work on multiple, concurrent assignments
- Capability to work efficiently in a deadline-driven environment
- Good problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
This is a contract position for 12+ months with possible extension. Up to $90/hr on C2C.
More info and to apply: Pearl Kingston, Talent Acquisition Executive, 443-321-2721
California Geological Survey. Fault evaluation report for Apple Valley North, Cougar Buttes, Fairview Valley, Fifteenmile Valley, and Lucerne Valley quadrangles, San Bernardino County, California. 5 maps, scale 1:24,000. Sacramento: California Geological Survey, Fault evaluation report no. 262. Web access: http://www.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/rghm/ap/Pages/official_release.aspx
California Geological Survey. Fault evaluation report for the Echo Lake and Emerald Bay quadrangles, El Dorado County, California. 2 maps, scale 1:24,000. Sacramento: California Geological Survey, Fault evaluation report no. 261. Web access: http://www.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/rghm/ap/Pages/official_release.aspx
De Long Company. De Long wine map of California. 2 maps on 1 sheet, scale ca. 1:720,000. North Las Vegas, Nevada: De Long Company, pub. 2015. Web access: https://www.delongwine.com/products/california-wine-map
DeLorme (Firm). California: detailed topographic maps : back roads, recreation sites, GPS grids : family outings, boat ramps, campgrounds, places to explore. 1 atlas (160 pages), scale 1:200,000. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme, 4th edition, pub. 2015. ISBN: 9780899333830
Kappa Map Group. Northern California: city, state & regional maps. 1 atlas (64 pages), scales differ. Blue Bell, Pa.: Kappa Map Group, pub. 2014. ISBN: 9780762584611
National Geographic Maps (Firm). Death Valley National Park. 1 map, scale ca. 1:165,000. Evergreen, Colo.: National Geographic Maps, Trails Illustrated map 221, pub. 2014. ISBN: 9781566953214
National Geographic Maps. Los Angeles, DestinationMap: city map & travel guide : points of interest, additional inset map, transit system, travel information, top attractions, 3D buildings, airport terminal maps, regional map, photos. 1 map, scale ca. 1:240,000. Evergreen, Colo.: National Geographic Maps, pub. 2015. ISBN: 9781597750929
National Geographic Maps. Southern California guidemap: road map & travel guide. 1 map, scale ca. 1:2,050,000. Evergreen, Colo. National Geographic Maps, pub. 2015. ISBN: 1597750158; 9781597750158
O’Callaghan, Aaron. Sacramento Valley breweries. 1 map, scale not given. Sacramento Area Brewers Guild, 2016. Web site: http://sacbeerweek.com/breweries/
One Tam (organization). One Tam, many friends. 1 map, scale not given. Tamalpais Lands Collaborative, pub. 2016. Web access: http://www.onetam.org/map-and-trails
U.S. Bureau of Land Management. California public lands, national system of public lands: Inside, About BLM California, 2016 California public lands facts, BLM California priorities. 1 map, scale not given. Sacramento: U.S. Bureau of Land Management, pub. 2016.
U.S. Bureau of Land Management. Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area. 1 map, scale ca. 1:150,000. El Centro, CA: U.S. Bureau of Land Management, pub. 2016.
Are you a state, regional, county, or municipal government working on that next field data collection project and need some funding? Why not enter the ESRI and Leica Smart Communities Innovation Challenge and win some hardware and software for your project!
The Smart Communities Innovation Challenge is an open call for demonstration projects that supports bringing ground-breaking ideas of state and local government to reality.
The goal of the program Continue reading