Jeff Speck, a city planner based in Washington, D.C., thinks there’s fix that could make the roads safer that doesn’t involve new technologies like self-driving cars or systems that beep when your car gets to close to another car. According to Speck, just making road lanes narrower could reduce vehicular deaths. Click below to read the article.
If you use ESRI’s Collector for ArcGIS in your organization, it looks like they have updated the software to 10.2.7 for both iOS and Android platforms.
For the iOS platform, Collector now fully supports the new resolutions introduced with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. In addition, a number of key software defects were addressed.
For more info, visit the announcement here.
The Federal Aviation Administration has a Community Planner opening in Hawthorne.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Some, all or none of the applicants may be interviewed
Duties: This position serves as a community planner responsible for various airport and aviation planning activities for the Office of Airports (ARP), Western Pacific Region, Los Angeles Airports District Office (LAX-ADO). This position is responsible for providing proactive assistance and guidance to airport sponsors, consultants, planning agencies, and the public on various aspects of the airport and aviation planning to include airport systems planning, airport master planning and airport layout plan preparation, Airport Capital Improvement Plan development, compatible land use planning, and airspace obstruction analysis. Working closely with experienced LAX-ADO and Regional planners, this position serves with supervision in the analysis and interpretation of planning criteria in the review of airport and aviation planning documents. Incumbent has a basic knowledge of airport and aviation planning. Duties and responsibilities may include: Reviews prior to acceptance, airport master and system plans prepared by public airport sponsors, State aeronautical agencies, and metropolitan planning agencies. Maintains knowledge in all areas of airport/system master planning. Provides technical assistance in the preparation, review, and coordination of local airport demand forecasts and Airport Layout Plans. Reviews planning consultant contracts and scopes of work for consistency in the procurement of professional services requirements. Assists environmental specialists in the collection of data, and develops documents required for satisfying requirements of National Environmental Policy Act. Provides assistance and review of airport sustainability programs. Provides technical assistance related to the Airports Geographical Information System (GIS) program to include FAA Airports GIS standards and eALP tool development. Assists sponsors in incorporating FAA Airports GIS Standards in planning products. Reviews Airports GIS scopes of work for various types of aeronautical surveys and airport data collection. Provides assistance to ensure land use compatibility, including consultation in the development of zoning requirements on and off airport. Coordinates with experienced planners to ensure compliance with applicable Grant Assurances. Provides review of the initial submittal of National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems entry/removal requests per FAA guidance. Provides technical review and coordination of off airport submittals for airspace review. Reviews standards for approach procedures with a basic understanding of airport obstruction surfaces. Reviews all land documentation. This includes land use compatibility plans, change in land use requests, land release, and land acquisition. Works with experienced planners to accomplish actions including in-depth review of appraisals submitted by the sponsors to assure that land acquired under a project is to proper configuration, ensuring acceptable title, and determining cost reasonableness. Reviews Airport Improvement Program (AIP) planning contract awards, negotiated contracts, force account approvals, and notice to precede authorization. Approve AIP partial payments and make recommendations on final and semi-final payments. Reviews adaptations and deviations of agency airport planning and design standards as defined in Order 5300.1. Coordinates with experienced planner on recommendations concerning nonstandard design. Provides information to the public on all aspects of project implementation. Including airport planning and airspace review. In addition to airport and aviation planning functions, performs limited duties related to ADO program (grant) management as necessary. Performs other duties as assigned.
For more information and to apply, visit this site.
Jacobs Engineering has a GIS Technician opening in Los Angeles.
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technician works directly with the GIS Coordinator on various tasks associated with project GIS deliverable development and general project support. They will be responsible for completing various types of requests for geospatial base map data, infrastructure data, cartographic output, project data update, and data extraction in support of GIS Deliverable production for the Sempra Energy 10 year Pipeline Safety Enhancement Plan (PSEP). The Geographic Information Systems technician will be part of the PSEP Project Management Organization (PMO) working directly with the Southern California Gas Company and San Diego Gas and Electric Company.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpret field notes and sketches, assist in downloading and processing conventional and GPS data from Trimble Business Center or similar software.
- Research, extract and populate required attribute information for identified deliverable GIS features
- Use ArcGIS to update PSEP project routing files (KML)
- Use ArcGIS software to extract project support data such as imagery and low and medium pressure line data from client data stores
- Generate cartographic output in support of PSEP project as needed
Training and Experience:
- Bachelors in Cartography and/or Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- 3+ years experience using ESRI ArcGIS version 10.0 or higher – Required
- Sufficient GIS working experience and certification may fulfill requirements
- Working understanding of geodatabase format – Required
- Familiarity with pipeline data preferred
- Ability to read technical documents including construction drawings
- Familiarity with SDE a plus
For more information and to apply, visit this site.
UCLA has an opening for a Geospatial Resources Librarian. The position’s salary range is $57,536 to $88,253.
UCLA Library seeks an innovative, outgoing information professional to serve as the Geospatial Resources Librarian. This position guides UCLA Library efforts to foster and promote geospatial research, teaching, and learning by developing the digital and analog collections, services, and infrastructure to support these activities across the disciplines. The Geospatial Resources Librarian holds a split appointment in the UCLA Digital Library Program (DLP) and Collections, Research, and Instructional Services (CRIS) in the Charles E. Young Research Library, collaborating with other library units and campus stakeholders to define UCLA Library’s role in cultivating geospatial resource collections within the University of California system and in the state of California more broadly.
For more information and to apply, visit this job site.
Organization: The Omega Group, a Trimble Company
Title: GIS Support Technician
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Trimble is an exciting, entrepreneurial company, with a history of exceptional growth coupled with a disciplined and strategic focus on being the best. While GPS is at our core, we have grown beyond this technology to embrace other sophisticated positioning technologies and, in doing so; we are changing the way the world works. Our solutions are used in over 140 countries and we have incredibly diverse lines of business. The Omega Group, part of Trimble’s Public Safety Division, is an industry leading developer of innovative Geographic Information Systems software for public safety. We bring the latest technologies to law enforcement and fire agencies, providing the tools to keep communities safe. With over 20 years in the industry, we continue to develop leading edge software in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
Our employees represent this diversity and can be found in over 30 countries, working closely with their colleagues around the world. Due to our geographic, product and customer reach, there is plenty of room at Trimble for exceptional people to grow. Come position yourself with an innovative industry leader and position yourself for success.
GIS Support Technician
The GIS Support Technician is an entry-level position in The Omega Group’s Implementation department. Technicians primarily provide technical support to our customers and have a secondary role working collaboratively with a project team on multiple phases of GIS application development. Technicians work under the supervision of the Customer Support Supervisor and are on a career path to promotion to Project Lead as openings occur.
Measures of Success:
• Provide high-quality phone and email support to clients to help them solve technical problems quickly and effectively
• Assess and resolve a wide variety of technical issues
• Document technical support issues in a centralized database
• Communicate and document end user suggestions such as software functionality recommendations to staff
• Assist the project implementation team with various technical aspects of the GIS application development including, but not limited to: data collection, geocoding, query writing, report writing, and application testing
• Perform software testing to troubleshoot issues and evaluate solutions
• Demonstrate continual enrichment of Omega product knowledge and understanding of end user needs
• Conduct on-going professional self-development to support changes and enhancements of the project management processes
Skills & Experience Required:
• A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in geography, GIS, or other closely related field
• Strong communication skills
• At least one year of experience with GIS, preferably using ESRI’s ArcGIS software platform
• Familiarity with technical terms and the ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely
• Ability to function in a dynamic environment subject to impromptu changes in schedules and priorities
• Customer service/software support experience preferred
• Experience working with public safety agencies and/or data preferred
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com .