After you view the Halloween Candy Map, check out this one showing the craziest urban legends from each state!
GIS Project Specialist – Los Angeles area
GIS Technician – Los Angeles area
Service Planning Analyst (GIS) – Long Beach Transit
Utility Data Analyst – El Segundo area
Administrative Analyst/Specialist (GIS) – CSU Fullerton
Transportation Project Analyst – Los Angeles area
GIS Programmer – Los Angeles area
Data Analyst – Los Angeles area
On August 21, 2017, the continental United States will experience a rare total solar eclipse that sweeps the nation from Oregon to South Carolina. Taking 94 minutes for the Moon’s shadow to race across the country, the duration of the total solar eclipse can last from 2 minutes near Depoe Bay, Oregon, to 2 minutes 41 seconds (the max) near Carbondale, Illinois, and 2 minutes 30 seconds near Awendaw, South Carolina. This will not happen again in the US until 2023 for an annular eclipse and 2024 for a total eclipse.
To help you plan your trip, take a look at these many maps including a 10 foot long strip map of the eclipse path. For more info, click below.
Interesting interactive map showing gun deaths in the US. The map is based on data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and shows the average number of gun deaths per 100,000 county residents from 2004 through 2010.
Note that the “gun deaths” map combines homicides, suicides, and accidents. There are also separate maps for suicides and homicides. Suicides really skew the statistics.
Thanks to Barry Waite of the City of Carson for finding this one.
The City of Downey has an opening for a GIS Intern.
- Get hands-on GIS experience
- Learn how to read engineering drawings and as-builts
- Gain practical GIS experience for municipalities
- Experience with ESRI products is required
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD is desirable
- Work in City of Downey Public Works department
- Must be able to work 24 hours per week
- $13.90/ hour
Interested candidates please call Ahmed Husain at (562) 622-6721 or email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Glendale has an opening for a GIS Analyst. The salary is $5,627.00 – $8,184.00 monthly. The closing date is 10/30/2015. For more information and to apply, visit their job site page:
If you work with transit data, you might want to take a look at the following blog post. Some great suggestions:
- Use services areas around transit stops instead of buffers around transit lines
- Incorporate frequency, like trips made per hour
- Consider travel time between places throughout the day
- Factor in transit frequency
- Incorporate demographic data to find what groups are underserved by transit or have a high level of need for better access to certain types of destinations
Check it out.
Looking to get into Python for spatial data analysis? Check out this online video. The video notes state you will learn about geoprocessing, analyzing and visualizing spatial data using Python and how it compares to other available options such as desktop GIS options (ArcMap or QGIS) or R. The talk will introduce various Python projects such as PySAL, GeoPandas, and Rasterio, and give attendees a starting place for independently exploring and learning geoprocessing skills using Python.
Slides for the video can be found here.