If you are a full or part-time undergraduate, graduate, and first year post-doctoral student attending accredited colleges and universities anywhere in the world AND working on a research paper in the history of cartography, then you might want to enter your work in the Ristow Prize Competition. The winner will receive a $1000 cash prize and publication in the The Portolan, Journal of the Washington Map Society. The deadline is June 1, 2014.
If you are interested in how the Fire Department City of New York (FDNY) developed and utilzed geospatial capabilties during the most recent Super Bowl, then you should register for this free online training session on 2/26/2014.
JOB TITLE: Community Data and Evaluation Specialist
PROGRAM: Choice Neighborhood/Byrne Justice and Innovation Program
STATUS: Full-Time (Exempt)
REPORTS TO: Data System and Evaluation Administrator
HISTORY and MISSION
Youth Policy Institute (YPI) transforms Los Angeles neighborhoods using a holistic approach to reduce poverty by ensuring families have access to high quality schools, wrap-around education and technology services, enabling a successful transition from cradle to college and career. Since 2001, YPI has accomplished this by serving families in Los Angeles at 125 sites, 100,000 youth and adults a year throughout the city. YPI has an annual budget of $41 million (including affiliated charter schools) and offers families education and training resources in the areas of afterschool, job training, early childhood education, physical education, adult literacy and ESL, computer literacy, charter schools, and college preparation. YPI also supports efforts to boost the capacity and effectiveness of small grassroots nonprofits that provide essential services for youth.
The Youth Policy Institute is currently seeking a full-time Community Data and Evaluation Manager for the Choice Neighborhood and Byrne Justice and Innovation program. In coordination with the Los Angeles Promise Neighborhood, these two additional Neighborhood Revitalization Initiatives and programs will transform the communities of Hollywood and Pacoima with a continuum of cradle-to-college-and-career services, and will be a zone of choice for families with a wide range of high-quality school options including traditional, charter, pilot and partnership schools. The centerpiece of Choice and Byrne are an innovative public-private partnership that blends diverse funding streams around a core set of outcomes and objectives. Choice/Byrne will identify areas of need regarding community safety, gang intervention, housing needs, economic development and overall community stability.
The Community Data System and Evaluation Manager will coordinate with all YPI/LAPN community partners to ensure all data is tracked effectively. The Community Data System Administrator will work alongside YPI’s Data System & Evaluation Team to determine data system architecture and troubleshoot with subcontractor’s managers, directors, and frontline staff as needed. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• Work with agency’s Data System and Evaluation Administrator to identify strategic data system architecture build out
• Code, test and implement custom reports; roster applications; set up detailed data system manual for proper use
• Provide leadership in effective data management, presentation, and innovative tracking (i.e. Geographic Information System [GIS], spatial analysis, cross-tabulations, quantitative and qualitative data triangulation).
• Conduct trainings for all staff levels
• Ensure that Subcontractor’s Directors and program staff are familiar and understand data system and system tools
• Oversee data collection methodologies and actual data collection using the highest scientific rigor possible
• Assist in maintaining the efforts to outcomes data systems and the custom interfaces to the main organization data system. Assist with system and version upgrades.
• Work with the Data System and Evaluation Administrator in maintaining relationships with YPI Research and Evaluation Department, local partners, internal departments, and the database system vendor
• Develop an in-depth knowledge of the fields and records in related longitudinal databases and the tools used to generate reports, lists, data extracts at the Enterprise level
• Perform other duties related to the position as requested by supervisor or Director of Research and Evaluation
• Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university required, preferably in social science, education, public health or urban planning with a minimum 2 years of commensurate experience
• Master’s degree preferred
• Strong familiarity with demographic, health and economic datasets highly preferred
• Strong understanding of designing, planning, conducting, and evaluating public educational and support service programs
• Experience with methods and procedures for data acquisition, management and quality control
• Experienced GIS user and/or additional mapping software for sophisticated spatial analysis
• Demonstrated record of successful project design, development and management
• Experience working in the education and social service sector and a demonstrated familiarity with the issues and challenges of public education
• Expertise in quantitative and/or qualitative analysis
• Excellent interpersonal, writing and oral communication skills
• Strong project management skills and consultative skills
• Demonstrated leadership ability
• Ability to communicate effectively
Full-time, Monday through Friday. However, some evenings and weekends may be required.
GIS/Field Technician, Southern California
Utility Data Contractors, Inc. (UDC), a provider of Field Data Services, is seeking qualified applicants to perform field data collection.
• A minimum of a year of ESRI, ArcGIS Desktop is preferred
• Must have great attention to detail and have the ability to work outdoors and independently
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products (including MS Access)
• Understanding of GIS
• Ability to follow specification documents and understand scope of the project
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Analytical and problem solving skills
• Electric Utility knowledge a plus
• Ability to travel throughout Southern California area a must
This position involves taking a hand held computer and a laser measuring device to the field to read and record angles and heights of electric facility on poles. Applicants must have the ability to work outdoors in a self managed environment, ability to use field computer, dependable vehicle with good driving record and safety conscience. Proficient computer skills are required and some familiarity with electric utility outside plant assets would be helpful. Travel throughout the Southern California area is required.
This position is full time (40 hours a week). Criminal and motor vehicle background checks will be completed for each applicant. Qualified candidates should send their resume to email@example.com with the subject title of Field Technician. Training will take place at our Agoura Hills, CA field office. Selected candidates must be available to start mid March or early April, 2014. Local candidates preferred. Relocation is not provided for candidates.
The Assessor-County Clerk-Recorders office in Riverside County has an opening for a GIS Analyst and GIS Specialist II/I/Trainee. Both close on 2/21/2014 so hurry if you are interested!