BURBANK WATER AND POWER (BWP) seeks a part-time hourly employee to assist with GIS data development, ongoing maintenance, data conversions, data collection, and cartography. BWP is a community owned utility using GIS to manage water and electric system assets along with other City landbase information. This temporary GIS Intern position will be based in our Water Engineering Division and will work with a team of GIS and engineering professionals to update and expand the Water System GIS program.
The successful GIS Intern should have experience with ESRI ArcGIS and general office software on Windows 7 platform. Will assist with a variety of GIS projects including; research, analysis, data conversion, data collection, GPS, assembling metadata; map creation; and setup and maintenance of GIS systems.
We are looking for a self-motivated, conscientious individual who can work independently with minimal supervision, be detail oriented, and can communicate closely with engineering staff. Hands-on exposure to many facets of GIS in a municipal government setting is assured to the successful candidate.
APPLY BY: May 5, 2017
SALARY: $17.00/Hour – 20 to 30 Hours/Week
(1000 hours over 12 months max, No Benefits)
• At least one year of college level courses or technical training in GIS
• Experience using ArcGIS 10.x
• Attention to detail and accuracy when editing GIS data
• Be able to work at least 16 hours per week. Target is 24 hours per week.
• Work well independently
• Familiar with Microsoft Excel and Word
• Understanding of Geodatabase concepts
• Familiarity with ArcGIS Online
• Microsoft Access, Adobe Creative Suite
• Experience with CAD, GPS
• Programming/Web – Python, HTML, Java, ASP
• Convert, edit, or create geographic datasets as necessary using ArcMap
• Ensure the accuracy and completeness of digital GIS maps and datasets
• Assist system users with new and existing applications
• Frequent communication and documentation of progress will be required
• Prepare GIS data and cartographic layouts
• Create and maintain metadata
• Collect GIS-related field data
PROCESS: Submit resume and cover letter to contact below. City application not required.
CONTACT: Tom Lutgen, Water GIS
818-238-3500 Fax: 818-238-3508