There are two positions open in Service Planning at Long Beach Transit
Position 1 (Full-Time): Service Planning Analyst (GIS/ITS Technology)
Under the direction of the Department Manager, the Service Planning Analyst is responsible for providing technical assistance in service planning and transit performance data analysis. The analyst will prepare various project reports and study findings on special assignments. Must be analytical with strong writing and communication skills, and have a good understanding of transit planning practices as it relates to bus operation, ridership analysis and land use integration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES include the following:
- Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service performance by applying computing database skills and statistical methods to existing LBT data sources including TransitMaster Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) program; performance standard measurement and TAP-GFI Farebox Analysis.
- Prepares and analyzes ridership performance, user characteristics, and average fare analysis
- Prepares and analyzes comprehensive service operation data resided on the GIS master database platform.
- Supports the integration of transit database development on bus stops, ridership trends, customer complaints and monitoring of performance measures.
- Provides technical support and information to other departments and staff relating to transit service and planning coordination.
- Applies statistical methods and relational database management techniques on collected transit data related to service planning activities
- Prepares project reports and data support for grant applications and project documentation.
- Performs advanced functions to debug user applications in order to report and analyze transit operation characteristics and resources allocation accurately.
- Conducts a variety of studies regarding passengers travel surveys and market research analyses to recommend service improvement ideas.
- Provides written reports regarding recommendations and findings of various transit studies.
- Prepares and disseminates transit data and reports as a backup in compliance to Federal and State funding agencies. These reports include, but are not limited to, the National Transit Database (NTD), Section 15, APTA, Jurisdictional Ridership and Bus Stop Improvement Plan.
- Other duties may be assigned
BS/BA degree in urban planning, traffic engineering, public administration or a related field. A minimum of two years of progressively responsible work experience in public transportation areas is highly desired. A Master Degree may substitute for two year work experience.
- Knowledge of research and statistical theories and methods.
- Proficient with Microsoft work environment software including Excel, Access and Power Point.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of transportation planning and operations is highly desirable.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills are essential. The ability to gather data and prepare clear and concise reports, to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others and to work independently.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with transit technology including Farebox, passengers counting system and vehicle technology.
- Experience performing spatial data analysis and mapping presentation using ArcGIS (Geographic Information System)
MORE INFO AND TO APPLY:
Visit the job announcement here.
Position 2 (Internship): College Intern – Service Planning Intern
Long Beach Transit’s (LBT) Student Intern Professional is a year-round paid program. The Intern will gain real world work experience on meaningful projects under the guidance of transportation professionals. The Intern will have the opportunity to use problem solving, communication and decision-making skills to gain valuable experience. The Intern will also work with a mentor for assistance along with working with various departments to enhance a career path. As a professional, the Intern will be exposed to LBT’s career opportunities in the transportation industry. The Intern will gain deeper awareness of many facets of transportation through LBT’s orientation, cross-divisional projects and teams and internal networking.
Under the direction of the Service Planning Manager, and the guidance of a Service Planning Analyst, the intern role is a developmental position that provides technical support and administrative assistance for the Service Planning Department. Responsibilities include maintaining transit operations and ridership associated databases, providing field analysis of service issues, and collecting and analyzing field data to generate effective and efficient performance measurements, and transit planning and scheduling solutions associated with the operation of LBT’s fixed bus route service.
- Apply Geographic Information System (GIS) techniques to develop internal and external reports and data formatting relating to transit operations analyses
- Assist in the preparation of mapping and data summaries of transit operations performance improvement measures using Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) and other related data sources such as scheduling software, fare collection and passenger counting system
- Apply statistical methods and relational database program analysis related to service planning activities
- Provide technical support as required and perform other related departmental work
Successful candidate must be a full time graduate student maintaining a 3.0 or above GPA and majoring in Urban Planning, Traffic Engineering, Geography or related field. Transcripts and class schedules will be requested. Candidate must be detail oriented and experienced in quantitative data analysis, possess good communications and organizational skills; proficient in ArcGIS and MS Office applications – Excel, Word, Access.
MORE INFO AND TO APPLY:
Visit the job announcement here.